Thursday, September 12, 2013

Taking Chances series by Molly McAdams

 

Book Description


Her first year away is turning out to be nearly perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.

Eighteen-year-old Harper has grown up under the thumb of her career marine father. Ready to live life her own way and to experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit, she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family, and emotions. She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with both her new boyfriend, Brandon, and her roommate's brother, Chase. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both men adore Harper and would do anything for her, including taking a step back if it would mean she'd be happy.


Review

I cry..a lot. For everything.In the begining it was so awkward to loving two boy.And I was mad because she's acting so stupid.But when Chase died I was devistated!I cry,cry,cry and cry!I don't wanna admit but Honestly I guess I never cry so much like that.So you must be read this book.
 After eighteen years of growing up under the strict rule of her Marine father properly titled 'Sir.' Harper is finally breaking free. She is now on her way to college clear across the country from North Carolina to the sunshine state. San Diego California. Harper is described by one character as being pure as the snow. She has never had a boyfriend and has never been kissed. AT EIGHTEEN! **Throws hands in the air**
Unbelievable right?!
After unpacking she takes a nap. She is later woken up by her procacious roomate Breanna. She tells Harper that her brother is having a party at his house and they will be in attendance. After ruling out everything in Harper's wardrobe Breanna decides they need to hit the mall.

The two girls bond quickly and Harper has a hidden crush on Chase; Breanna's brother. Chase is tall blonde with surfer boy hair and piercing blue eyes. He also has a few tattoos. But the guy is a player. Everytime she sees him he is sporting a new chick on his arm lap or wherever else they can hang off him at.
Then she meets Brandon one of Chase's many roomates. Brandon is tall with a buzzed cut and sports a cute dimple in his cheek when he smiles. OH and he is also tatted up. When Brandon returns his interest in Harper Chase decides he is not feeling it so he tries to run interference. He knows he is not good for her and as far as he is concerned neither is Brandon. Unfortunately the choice is not his. Harper is not having it and she let's Chase know that she can do what she wants. Then she goes and does exactly that.
 In all honesty I am a BIG mixed bag of emotions with this book... This is mainly due to the fact that I have a love/hate thing for the heroine Harper. At times I could not stand her. Sorry correction most times I could not stand her. The guys in this book allowed me to enjoy it their witty banter and alpha ways got me all hot and bothered in the best of ways.
Also the author did an amazing job with showing the importance of family and friendship. I loved the parts that showcased the family ties the most.

 “…he was always doing crazy stuff like
that, it’s why everyone loved him, but it got him
in trouble more times than not. No one else
would have continued to surf after that, and we
were all trying to get him to come in. Brad and I
rode out to force him to, since he had this huge
cut on his eyebrow from where that guy punched
him, but by the time we got out there he was
already catching another wave and riding it in. I
swear he knew how to piss us off too, because
those guys weren’t happy we started coming
back out. Your dad could out-surf those guys,
and I could fight them, but just a warning son,
don’t ever try to fight someone while on your
surfboard out in the ocean. It doesn’t really work
out for anyone, and you look stupid trying to
throw punches while treading water. We ended
up laughing too hard and inviting them to the
party that night, calling a truce.”
“Like I said, he was crazy and always doing
stupid crap,” flipping the page again he pointed
to one and said softly, “but your mom
changed that.”
I froze and tilted my head in even further.
“The day I met your mom, I knew she
would be in my life forever. There was
something about her and I knew I was already
falling in love with her that first day. She made
you want to be better, to attempt to be worthy of
her love. Unfortunately your dad felt the same
way; no one understood why he drastically
changed, except for me. Even though she was
with me, he stopped drinking, stopped sleeping
with other girls, it’s like she made him instantly
mature into the guy he eventually wanted to be so
he could have an opportunity with her. I was always
afraid I’d lose her to him someday, it’s like
I knew it was a matter of when, not if. But your
mom was different, I’d dated plenty of girls, but I
hadn’t really cared if they were there or not. It
was just someone to try to fill the ache of losing
my dad. So when I met her and realized my feelings,
I fought to keep her as long as I could.
Don’t tell your momma, but Chase and I were
constantly fighting over her when she wasn’t
around. Hell, we even fought over her when she
was around. We knew either of us could have any
girl we wanted, but we both only wanted Harper.
So of course, being us, words were used and fists
flew whenever we were alone. I didn’t tell her
this, but I already knew what had happened with
your dad before she told me. When I got home
from break, and Chase never bothered me again,
I knew something had happened. I just didn’t
know what yet. But you know what little man? I
can’t even be mad about it anymore, because if it
hadn’t happened, you wouldn’t be here right
now.”“And he
loved you and your mom, so much. I’ll always
remind you of that, but I wish you could have
met him.”


 I can die crying!! CHASE!!!! :(  CHAAAASEEE !!!!!!!!




Chase Grayson has never been interested in having a relationship that lasts longer than it takes for him and his date to get dressed again. But then he stumbles into a gray-eyed girl whose innocence pours off her, and everything changes. From the minute Harper opens her mouth to let him know just how much he disgusts her, he's hooked.

But a princess deserves a Prince Charming who can make her dreams come true. Not a guy who can turn her life into a nightmare.

All good intentions go out the window when Harper starts to fall for the guy Chase has come to view as a brother. He wanted to protect her by keeper her away, but he can't stand to see her with anyone else, and he'll do anything to make her his. But when it comes down to Harper choosing between the two, will Chase have the strength to step back from the girl who has become his whole world if it means she's happy?

Lines will be crossed. Friendships will be put to the test. And hearts will be shattered.

CAUTION: DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT READ TAKING CHANCES!

Explanation with quote

“Oh God, Harper. I’m sorry!” I
walked quickly toward her and watched as
she shrank into the chair, her face pale and
body shaking. Oh my God, I’m scaring her. I
couldn’t have made things any worse if I had
tried. “I have to go, before I mess this up
more.” I brushed my knuckles along her jaw,
hating that she flinched when I touched her
and trying to memorize her face. “I’m sorry
for everything. I can’t say that enough, Harper,
I’m so, so sorry. Please don’t end us,
though. I will earn your trust again somehow,
just don’t do this.”
“Don’t make this harder for either of us;
you know how I feel. Let’s give it a few days,
and we’ll see if we can start again as friends.
No matter what happens to us, Chase, I want
you in his life.”
But I wanted to be in her life, too. My
world meant nothing if it didn’t have both of
them in it. My stomach churned, and my
vision blurred as I realized this was it, the
moment I’d always wanted her to find but
had always dreaded—when she realized she
was better off without me. “I love you, Princess,”
I whispered before kissing her one
more time and walking out the door.
My body shook brutally with a new round
of sobs as soon as I was in my truck, and I
slumped against the steering wheel. This is
what she needed, but I couldn’t let this happen.
I was too selfish to let her go; I needed
her more than she could ever imagine. Before
I met her, I’d thought my life was perfect.
But, in reality, it was meaningless, and
would go back to being just that if she was
gone. Every ounce of my being was yelling at
me to go back into my parents’ house, pull
her into my arms, and make her forget about
what had happened. But if I was to ever get
her back, I needed to give her the space I
knew she needed. I scrubbed my hands down
my face and cranked the engine over, I had
to get out of there before the idea of kissing
her senseless started sounding better and
better.
While I drove, I thought about everything
that had happened in the last year with her,
and I couldn’t believe one girl had changed
me so completely. My chest rose and fell
quickly as I thought about everything I’d
done wrong when it came to her, wishing I
hadn’t wasted so much time being an asshole
to her, and at the same time wishing I had
continued to push her away. But how do you
continue to push away your reason for staying
on this earth? My chest tightened as my
heart and mind continued to fight for two
different outcomes. I didn’t know which side
was winning out. I just knew I wanted
her—and I wanted her forever.
Thoughts of my conversation with Brandon
in the morning kept creeping back, and
though I wanted to push them away, I knew
he was right. I knew he was what was best
for her. Hadn’t I always been the one saying
that? To her—to everyone? Brandon
wouldn’t do this to her, he wouldn’t crush
her over and over again, but I didn’t know if
I had the strength to leave her for good. She
was mine—she would always be mine.
I lifted my hips slightly to reach for my
phone in my back pocket. When I didn’t feel
it, I started going through all my other pockets.
Nothing. Where was my phone? I needed
to call her. Even if she didn’t answer, I
needed to tell her I loved her and that I
wasn’t giving up on us, I never would. I felt
around on the passenger seat, again turning
up nothing. I looked in the rearview mirror
and out the windshield. No cars around me,
and the light up ahead was still green. Leaning
over, I ran my hand over the floor on the
passenger side but didn’t feel anything. I
swear I had just—Trish . . . I threw my phone
against the wall. Fuck, I’d left it at Mom’s. I
needed to go back and take Harper into my
arms and talk everything out.
I saw the lights out of the corner of my eye
before I heard the horn. My eyes darted up to
see the red light before I turned my head just
in time to have my entire body rocked and
the sound of crunching metal fill my world.
MY EYELIDS FEEL heavy as I slowly blink
them open. There is a heavy ringing filling
my ears, and it feels like a crushing weight is
sitting on my chest. I try to lift my arms up to
my chest to remove whatever it is, but I can’t
make them move. Slowly, things start coming
to me. The sound of a continuous horn,
searing pain throughout my body, the smell
of smoke, and something that smells close to
rust and salt filling my nose. My head falls
forward, and I realize I’ve closed my eyes
again. Forcing them open, I see my blue shirt
covered in blood. Why am I covered in
blood? I start to panic; my chest heaves up
and down roughly once, and the movement
forces me to cough out a cry of pain—blood
trickling past my lips and onto my lap.
I try to take a steady breath in, but it feels
wrong, it feels like I’m breathing in fluid.
Choking—I’m choking on blood. Another
cough, and more blood falls past my lips. I
somehow lift my head enough to see a
massive grill where my window and door are
supposed to be. Flashes of a red light, bright
headlights, and a loud horn. Oh God. God
no, please no. Tears form quickly, and I shut
my eyes against the blurred grill and pain
that is slowly leaving. I don’t want the pain
to leave because in its place I feel nothing at
all. Please, God—please I’ll take the pain, just
don’t take me. I don’t want to die. Don’t take
me from Harper and our baby.
“You’ll always have my heart, Chase
Grayson.”
“Princess? God, Harper—what have I
done? I don’t want to leave you and GB. God,
please don’t make me leave them. I’ll do
anything.”
“One of these days, Princess, I promise
you.”
“I would never be desperate enough to
want you.”
“We’ll see.”
“I love you, Princess, I’ll always love you.”
“No. I don’t deserve you, either. You need
someone who will cherish you, protect you,
and take care of you. Someone that realizes
they’d never be able to find another you in
the world, no matter how hard they looked.”
“Chase . . .”
“That first night, I did realize I would never
meet another girl like you. But you deserve
someone who has waited for you as
long as you have waited for them. And no
matter how much I wish I could be that guy,
I can’t, Harper.”
“I’ll never leave you—I’ll always be with
you.”“Was that not obvious? Is it not obvious
that I’m in love with you?”
“Say it again.”
“Chase, I love you.”
“Tell GB I love him . . . every day.”
“I’ve never been happier than when I just
woke up with you in my arms. You’re the
only girl I’ve ever fallen asleep with, and I
want to keep it that way. You’re not just
some girl. I’m in love with you, Harper, I
wouldn’t want you anywhere else.”
“And know that I’ve loved you since the
beginning.”
“Why are you in here?”
“Because you need me, and if this is my
last hour with you, I’m not going to waste
another second of it.”
“I’m sorry for the time I wasted, but I’ll
cherish every second we had together.”
“You’re pregnant, Princess?”
“Yes.”
“Is it—is it mine?”
“Of course it is.”
I don’t know what is real and what isn’t
anymore. I swear I can feel Harper in my
arms, smell her light vanilla scent. I can hear
her soft laugh, which was always reserved for
the dark, as if we are curled around each other
in bed. I can feel her lips on my throat and
her hands in my hair. God, please, don’t take
me from her! How can this be happening to
me?
More flashes—Harper holding a baby.
Our baby. A painful cry tries to work its way
out of my chest, but all that comes out is
more blood as I hang limply against the seat
belt. I try to take another breath but don’t
feel the relief of it. There is nothing; this is it.
My time is running out, and I wish more
than anything that I could have one more
day with her. To cherish her and worship
her, to tell her and GB a million times that I
love them. The vision starts blurring, and I
cling to it like it can keep me alive. I’m not
ready to go, I’m not ready to lose her. I try,
futilely, to take more breaths, but there is no
air, just more fluid. Harper in a wedding
dress, she looks beautiful, her smile brighter
than the sun, and she is looking directly next
to me. Turning, I catch sight of Brandon at
my side just before everything goes black.
“Take care of my family, brother. Please.”
“Chase!”
She sounds so close.
“Chase!”
“Live, Princess, for me. I love you.”



DEAR MOLLY MCADAMS HOW MUCH MORE CRYİNG?!?!?! MORE ME CRYİNG?! SOMEONE TELL ME TO STOP CRYİNG!!!!! I CAN'T ENDED!!!!
CHASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  











ABOUT AUTHOR

Molly grew up in California but now lives in the oh-so-amazing state of Texas with her husband and furry four-legged daughter. Some of her hobbies include hiking, snowboarding, traveling and long walks on the beach…which roughly translates to being a homebody with her hubby and dishing out movie quotes. When she’s not diving into the world of her characters, she can be found hiding out in her bedroom surrounded by her laptop, cell, Kindle and fighting over the TV remote. She has a weakness for crude-humored movies, fried pickles and loves curling up in a fluffy comforter during a thunderstorm...or under one in a bathtub if there are tornados. That way she can pretend they aren't really happening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. I appreciate every one of them! So Thank you!